Football Deadline to charge or release Mason Greenwood looming after rape arrest

Football Deadline to charge or release Mason Greenwood looming after rape arrest

Football

The clock is running on the window detectives have to quiz Mason Greenwood over rape and assault allegations.

The 20-year-old footballer was arrested on Sunday after a woman made serious claims about him on social media.

Manchester United have suspended their star talent and confirmed he won’t play again while investigations are ongoing.

The £75,000-a-week forward was being held in custody as of Sunday evening.

Police cars were seen outside the England international’s home in Bowdon, a leafy suburb of Manchester, yesterday.

Private security guards were seen at a second address thought to be associated with Greenwood, according to The Sun. It is believed his parents live at the home.

Under the law, the police have 24 hours to interrogate a suspect before they must charge or release the individual. 

Officers can extend that period by 12 hours in certain circumstances but must receive a judge’s permission to go beyond that in the most serious cases.

Greater Manchester Police have not provided any further update this morning. 

Yesterday, the force said it had been ‘made aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence’.

A spokesperson said: ‘An investigation was launched and following inquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.

‘He remains in custody for questioning.Inquiries are ongoing.’

Manchester United said Greenwood will not train or play for the Premier League club until further notice.

Allegations and images from Greenwood’s accuser were shared widely on Instagram on Sunday but have since been deleted.

In an earlier statement, Manchester United had said the club was aware of images and allegations circulating on social media, adding: ‘Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind.’

The Manchester United Supporters Trust posted on Twitter: ‘The club has now confirmed that Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice. 

‘MUST fully support the decision of the club in this regard.’

A spokesperson for sportswear giant Nike, which sponsors Greenwood, said in a statement: ‘We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.’

Greenwood broke into the Manchester United first team in the 2018-19 season while still a teenager and became a regular the following year.

His performances earned him an England call-up and he received his only cap to date away to Iceland in September 2020.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Get your need-to-know
latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.